From Old to New

Rather surprisingly only around 20% of global plastic waste is recycled. Considering only 45% of plastic bottles in the UK are being recycled leaving 55% in landfill, not enough is being done.

Environmentally friendly products are at the forefront of everyone’s mind now. The ever-increasing reports on climate change are encouraging more and more to consider their own carbon footprint and what they can do to change it. Most people are concerned about the damage that is being done to the environment, seven in 10 people said they already recycled and planned to do more.


The service life of plastics goes from less than one to 50 years or more and varies significantly among different product types and regions across the globe. Enough plastic is thrown away to circle the earth four times, only about 20% of global plastic waste is recycled while 25% was incinerated and 55% was discarded in landfills.

Recycled products are a great way to make sure you are reducing your carbon footprint in a fashion and environment-friendly way. The products and fabrics are made from eco-friendly resources, this can mean that the fibres were grown from sustainable crops or recycled materials. 

To slow global warming down, we need to be reserving resources, minimizing waste and keeping plastics out of the landfills and oceans. Plastic takes up to 1,000 years to degrade in landfills. Recycling plastic takes 88% less energy than making plastic and although there are only a few ways to do this, recycling bottles helps the environment.

Products to help

DICOTA are using the problem to create a stylish solution. Millions of employees use a computer bag every day. The Eco Series from DICOTA is using PET bottles to create high-quality notebook bags. The manufacturer has processed more than two and a half million PET bottles already.  Each item from the Eco Series, which is made up of the Scale and Select ranges of products, uses between 6 and 16 PET bottles to produce the fabric to make an environmentally friendly product.

Beyond environmental protection, DICOTA also places great emphasis on production under the consideration of social aspects. All DICOTA products meet the requirements of the European REACH directive. The company is also a member of amfori, the world’s leading business association for open and sustainable trade. Its aim is to improve the social sustainability of supply chains.

How it works

Standard PET bottles form the base material for many of DICOTA’s bag models. The bottles are cleaned, shredded, heated and pressed into plastic pellets in the recycling process. Subsequently, this base material is turned into high-quality polyester yarn. This process pays off for the environment: compared to new plastic production, energy consumption and CO2 emissions are each reduced by more than half. DICOTA also requires all suppliers of recycled PET materials to comply with the Global Recycled Standard (GRS) to ensure the responsible handling of wastewater and chemicals.

Synthetic fibres are the most used in the world – it’s estimated that synthetics account for about 65% of world production versus 35% for natural fibres. Most synthetic fibres (approx. 70%) are made from polyester, and the polyester most often used in textiles is polyethene terephthalate (PET). Polyester is a manmade fibre that is produced from oil and synthesized from petrochemical products by a process called polymerization. As a raw material, it is a clear, strong and flexible plastic that can be used in many ways. Every minute about one million PET bottles is sold worldwide. Still, the majority of the world’s virgin PET production (about 60%) is used to make virgin fibres for textiles; only about 30% is used to make bottles.

DICOTA is committed to reducing the burden on the environment without compromising on quality, look and feel. Each product turns six to 16 old PET bottles into a brand-new high-quality bag.

Why everyone should invest?

With more research being done around sustainability and recycling, more people are becoming aware of how they can minimise their carbon footprint. Not only is the average person changing their attitude so are workplaces, by providing their employees with sustainable products.

Employers and businesses are seeing the advantages of recycling as opposed to simply dumping waste. As awareness develops with reference to the positive benefits of recycling for businesses and the wider environment, the progression towards further recycling programs is likely to continue.

Sustainable. Social and ecological.

Share the story.


Click to sign up to Ingram Micro's emails